Thursday, January 30, 2014

Been a Long Time

I don't know how bloggers do it. I started my blog to make myself accountable as a writer, so that I wrote something everyday. The truth is, I haven't touched my blog since July 2013, though, I have been writing. I published my second book, as an eBook, in November 2013. After resolving some formatting issues that took me forever to figure out, I finally published the print copy in January 2014. I am now a Microsoft Word aficionado. I am now trying to master Smashwords (note: I stopped reformatting for Smashwords to blog).

In addition to completing and publishing my second novel, Daddy's Big Girl, I also edited another author's novel. So, I really have been writing. And here I was beating myself because I hadn't blogged since July.

Well, this year, in addition to writing, editing, and blogging, I also want to try a little marketing--easier said than done, of course. I'm not trying to make millions, but I would like to sale a lot of books. In 2013 I attended two business functions hosted by Above The Line Magazine and the most valuable information that I gathered dealt with business success & networking and branding & marketing.

Brenda McClain, RM Enterprises, Inc.*, gave a great presentation on business success & networking, which I customized for myself as a writer:

I. Master Your Mindset (WRITING SKILLS, WRITING GOALS, ETC.)
   A. As a business owner (WRITER) say to yourself:
       1. I willl...
       2. I am...
       3. I can...
   B. Invest in yourself and don't look for handouts and deals, so that you attract similar people.
 II. Your "Net Worth" is in your "Network"
   A. Build your network (WRITERS, READERS, EDITORS, PUBLISHERS, SOCIAL MEDIA CONTACTS, ETC.)
   B. Quality is critical
   C. Network with fans (READERS) (past & present) and clients (OTHER WRITERS) (consider joint ventures w/ideal clients) 
   C. Establish yourself as an "expert" (TELL THE TRUTH IN YOUR STORIES)
   D. Engage people in your network (READERS, SOCIAL MEDIA, OTHER WRITERS, ETC.), so you stay on top of their minds
   E. Accelerate growth (SALES) of your business (BOOKS) by asking for referrals
   F. Use every opportunity to network (MEMBERSHIPS IN BOOK CLUBS (FACEBOOK), CRITIQUE GROUPS, AUTHOR GROUPS, etc.)
   III. Master Your Message (GENRE)
    A. Have a problem/solution statement
    B. Leverage your expertise (as a WRITER), using as many options as possible (FREE ONLINE WRITING COURSES (IVERSITY), WRITING ADVICE (WRITER'S DIGEST), ETC.)
    C. Place value on what you do (WHAT YOU WRITE /YOUR PUBLISHED NOVELS)!


Okay, I don't want to overdo it on my first blog back, so I'm going to save the branding information for next time, which will take much less then six months. I hope someone, writer or otherwise, finds this business success & networking information helpful. Thanks!

*For more information on business success go to: http://www.lifetreasuresllc.com/


Simply TRB

No comments:

Post a Comment