Monday, February 4, 2013

Today Is The First Day of The Rest of My Blogs

Today is Monday, February 4, 2013, and I am not feeling it. This should have been a vacation day or, at a minimum, a day at home writing. Though, I'm very excited about this, my first blog. Actually, this isn't my first time blogging. Apparently I made an attempt, way back in February 2010 (that's when I created my blog account--did you know you couldn't delete the title of old blogs). This time I'm actually going to let people know I have a blog. That will probably be very helpful...if I want people to read it, huh? This blog is going to serve a two-fold purpose: 1.) I'm really hoping this will create and maintain interest in my writing; and 2.) I will be able to meet my goal of writing every day (i.e., stories, personal journal, or, now, blog).

I think, as a writer I should write daily (that's what some of the great writers say). I've fought this idea for years. I used to tell people, "I write when the feeling hits me." The truth is, I'm a writer and the feeling should hit me every day. I should write "something" every single day. Having said that, I should let you know, I'm about to re-release my first book, "Every Time I Close My Eyes" (ETICME), first published in 2003. I revised it and edited it myself. I know, I know...a writer should not edit his/her own work. Do you want to know a secret? After my book was published in 2003, I never opened it to read it. The first time I actually read the story, as a book, was February 2012. Yeah, crazy, right? It was really like seeing it with brand new eyes.

Anyway, I tried to stay true to the original writing of ETICME because I was in a very different place when I wrote it. I want to show the distinction between my writing then and my writing now. To improve my craft, I've taken all kinds of classes and even joined a couple of writer groups. I hope my growth is reflected in my writing. I had no idea how to write back then. Didn't invest any time in doing anything except making sure words were spelled correctly (I thought an editor would take care of the rest). Well, I learned that I should invest much more in my writing, than I did, if I'm going to be taken seriously.

My plan is to have my second book, "Daddy's Big Girl," published by the end of February. At least, that's the plan, and then to have a third book published in August 2013. I don't know about you, but I'm excited about getting back out there.

So, thank you and welcome to my blog! 

(Thanks Monika Mitchell, 556 Book Chicks, for telling me I needed a blog.)

Taya R. Baker aka Simply TRB

No comments:

Post a Comment